Monday, October 15, 2012

New Steps

Hi Mrs. B.,

We've talked a little about my fiction writing habit before. As long as I've been a reader, I've tried my hand at writing. I think you remember some of those early stories and journals. I brought you my trip journal from the move out East before I met you (Honestly, I wish I knew where that was now. I remember putting some hilarious things in there about Thunder Bay, ON and the sleeping giant. And then there was the hotel fire. Ahh, the adventures of my youth.) But, it was in the days I haunted your library that I really started working on fiction. My mom had an extra typewriter she'd brought home from the office that I would painstakingly henpeck out stories on: ghosts stories, strange doings on far away beaches, tales of lost memories and remembered friends, spy stories, mysteries. Fantasies.

There was the earthquake story from Freshman English with Mrs. R.. The spy short I wrote for Mr. D. in Computer class when he wanted us to write paragraphs.
I love fiction. 

Over the years I've shared more than a little of it with you. And, from time to time, I've mentioned more stories I've been working on, both here and on twitter.

Well, as of this past weekend, I've embarked on the next step. I have submitted to agents.

I know I'm in for a long haul, but I've got to tell you that just having started has left me with a huge feeling of relief. I thought about it and I realized that a lot of what was holding me back was fear. And honestly, while change is scary and putting yourself out there is scary, I'm doing it every day. I write to you. I apply to jobs. There are a lot of things I do that leave me open to rejection. Rejection is part of trying. But, you know what, Mrs. B? I've realized that worse than being rejected is being too afraid to try in the first place.

So two last week and two this week and two more after that and so on until I hear from someone. And, I'll keep you updated on what happens. Maybe I'll even get a little chart for my sidebar... ;)

Hope you're having a great day and best wishes,

Odd

No comments:

Post a Comment