Friday, May 25, 2012

Fighting the Good Fight

Hey Mrs. B.,

I love reading good recommendations and most of what I read these days is on recommendation -- much like it was when I haunted your shelves.

Some recommendations are harder than others, though.

I devoured a book recently called A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheenan. It was a FABULOUS novel. I loved it -- science fiction meets fairy tale.

And then there are books I don't devour. Some times it's because they just need to be savored. And some times it's because they just are slow reads. For me, the slow read is right now Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.



It's not that I don't like fantasy.

I've been trying to figure this one out, really.

But, I can't seem to go through any faster than I am. A few pages in the morning before work. A half of a chapter before we go to bed.

If at all.

Genn says I should try watching the HBO series. That some how that would help. ::shrugs:: I'm not sure about that, though. Sometimes movies and TV shows have gotten me to start a series, but I don't generally try to start watching a show after being part way through a book. Also, I don't generally like watching a movie or TV series once I've read the book (although, the other way around goes really well for me. I find I like both) -- don't get me started on just how disappointed I was when I watched Jurassic Park. My 13 year old self felt entirely let down. I LOVED that book when I read it and I was so EXCITED when the movie came out. Only to feel... cheated. It was a very different book from the movie and everything I loved about it felt stripped out.

The after-reading is, I think the important thing, because I love both the books and movies of Howl's Moving Castle, The Bourne Identity, and oh, just all of The Dresden Files. And for the most part, none of these were alike. But, I read the book after, not before. And not during (except for the Bourne books, but the movies were such a departure from them that it didn't really seem to make a different.)

I really think that starting now would just be too late. And once I've read the book, I have expectations which are completely different from whatever it is the director/actors have done (Which leaves me hugely concerned about if my books -- such as they are -- were ever turned into movies).

So, what do I do, Mrs. B? Do I watch the show? I'm more than half way through the book now.

What do I do?

Best,
-Odd

P.S. - Unpacking progresses. I'll hopefully have a picture for you soon, but the office(s) were our last priority. Much Love! -OA

2 comments:

  1. Watch the show! Honestly, when i was reading it that's what i did. I watched the first episode and then tore through the books. It didn't bother me at all and it helped me focus on the characters. But, its up to you.

    I'd also suggest setting a target each week for reading-- like if i read 50-100 pages then i can read something else. It helps-- and eventually you get to a point where you don't want to put the book down. When the weather gets nicer my desire to read becomes pretty nil. But that could be just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've finished!

    I will watch the season (I'm sure it's on Netflix now), I just wanted to get through it without watching (because I probably wouldn't have gone back to the book, sad to say).

    I really did like it. I may end up buying the next one, but it might take me a while to get through it, too.... ;)

    ReplyDelete