Monday, August 6, 2012

The Circle is Broken

Dear Mrs. B.,

I know I'm late on the news, but believe me when I say I am heart broken to hear about Maeve Binchy's passing on July 30th. I still remember Circle of Friends as being one of the first books we shared, you and I. We talked about it the way no adult had ever talked about books with me before: we talked about the characters and the story in a way I'd never done before, like it really meant something, as opposed to the dry-retelling book reports I'd become accustomed to. I have always been a book lover, but you and Maeve Binchy showed me that there were other book lovers out there and that critical thinking and opinion meant something -- my opinion and critical thoughts meant something-- whether or not I was a kid.

So, while I know she will never read this -- and I know you don't either, Mrs. B. -- thank you both for what became a lifetime of critical reading.

I think I need to go reread that book now....

And maybe cry a little.

Much Love,
OA.

No comments:

Post a Comment