Sunday, February 5, 2012

Where in the World is... Katniss?

Hi Mrs. B.,

So, I've had a few questions following the reading of the first two Hunger Games books (I still haven't started the third one, but soon. I promise.). One of the very big questions I've had about the the books is the geography of the rest of Panem. We know the area Katniss lives in used to be Appalachia and the Capital was once Denver, but those are the only places that are identified by name (unless there's something in book three that I haven't seen yet). This has left me wondering and puzzling just where the other districts are in relation to a current map of the US (I've had the same questions with Forest of Hands and Teeth,after that old newspaper was found, but we'll talk about that some other time). It looks like I'm not alone. This blogger, taking the clues we're given in the story, made a map and describes the process of how they came to set the map up that way.

Have a look. It's a pretty cool.

Best,

-Odd

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool! I've wondered the same thing actually. Though, I think i'll stick with my made up map in my head. It looks very different :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always just assumed it was divided-up bits of the United States. Mainly because I assumed it would be harder to maintain a repressive regime that covers the whole world...all that repression would take some serious logistics.

    ReplyDelete