Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hungry....

Hey Mrs. B,

So, the holidays got me started on reducing that pile of reading that keeps growing. I started with the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and followed it up with Catching Fire, the second book, which I just finished reading last week. I have to admit, it's an exciting ride and I'm looking forward to reading the third in the series, Mockingjay soon. It's a pretty rich world she's described. I think I can speak some about both books without spoilers by saying that this arc really does bring in the idea of history repeating.



Throughout the story, fans of history and folklore might recognize elements that the author has brought into the world of Panem. And, you know me, Mrs. B -- LOVE history and folklore. I remember reading somewhere that the author watching a program about Theseus, the Labyrinth, and the Minotaur and how, as part of the story, young men and women were sent to be sacrifices. I also see some of historic Rome in this story: the gladiatorial arenas, the original bloodsports. Only, instead of packing the populi into an arena, these deaths and dramas are played out on television screens across a country. Reality television and gladiatorial sacrifice brought together. Modern and historical. I'm not a huge fan of reality television (or as I like to call it surreal television), but I can see it's influence in the world of Panem, too, because if there's one thing that we will, it seems, never out grow as a species, it's bloodsport and lording successes over the vanquished. Something about this screams WWE meets Survivor meets Miss Universe with a "We who are about to die salute you" thrown in for good measure.

The story repeatedly returns to the salute "May the odds be ever in your favor." But, in order to have a bloodsport, the odds are always against someone. There will always be winners and losers, favorites and underdogs, and often times, that's part of what draws us to the game, whatever game it is. And in the world of Panem's games, this is no different. There are groups that are known for success and winning in the arena. There are alliances and enemies. There is scheming and conniving, and most of all, there's blood. Blood and human interest sells. (Okay, "sex sells" is the saying, but this is a young adult book) Those who give the crowd the best show get the best things and are better prepared to survive. But, no matter what, the winner is always the Capitol. The Capitol makes the games. The Capitol writes the rules. The Capitol is the house and the Capitol always wins. The Capitol wants blood, and blood it will get.

I like this book, Mrs. B. and I know I'm not exactly doing it justice, but I'll have more to say, I'm sure when I've finished Mockingjay.

Much Love!

-Odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment