Friday, September 14, 2012

Shaking My World

Hi Mrs. B.,

Just so you know, romance isn't the only thing I've been reading of late. I've been OBSESSED with alternate histories. In particular, at the moment, I've been on a kick for books by Cherie Priest.


So far, I've picked up Boneshaker and Dreadnought.

Holy moley, Mrs. B. RECOMMEND. RECOMMEND!!

Both books are set in an alternate Civil War era, one where the war has gone on a whole lot longer than our current history records. Portland has become a wasteland because of the Blight pouring in from below following a terrible, cataclysmic accident. The only thing living -- if you can call it that -- in the thick yellow miasma are zombies. It's an amazing world of monsters, mechanics, and civil unrest, a world where the fighting never ended and new weapons -- terrible, horrifying weapons -- are brought to bear against cousins, brothers, and friends.

I apparently have been reading these books out of order. I read Dreadnought first and then Boneshaker and I've found that Boneshaker is book one and Dreadnought is book three. I still love them and I'm determined to find the rest of this series.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes westerns, mystery, horror, and/or Steampunk.

Best,
Odd

No comments:

Post a Comment