Sunday, September 23, 2012

Old Book Sunday: Just... Hormonal

Dear Mrs. B,
I know I've been reading a lot of romances lately. I'm hoping to have something to talk to you about other than that in weeks to come, but I pulled up another one of the books from the old book pile and decided to give it a shot.

The book selected at random this time was called Just Friends to... Just Married.

For a moment, I will digress: Seriously, now I'm going to ask you this because you and I are friends ... really? I've been wondering this for years: Do they pick titles out of a hat? Is there a random keyword title generator out there for romance novels? I know I've seen several built for plots and I've seen ones that will give you random fandoms to pit against each other and I'm still of the mind that my new town has one to pick out street names. (While I would love to live on Starlight Lane or Time Sweep Court, there are others out there that just leave me feeling sorry for whomever lives there.) If there isn't one out there, I think whomever develops it first will earn a mint.

Returning to point, it wasn't bad. Again, I couldn't remember much about the book going in, although about half way through I came to a scene I remembered and it all came flooding back (although for a moment, I was thinking it was another book). I didn't feel the relationship and the characters were just a leeeeetle over the top. Still, all told, it wasn't bad. In fact, I might even come to love this book and both the hero and the heroine if they both got out of their own way and maybe toned down the grand gestures a bit.

A good beach read, although sadly we're moving on from beach season. Maybe a plane ride? Beware though. It's short, so if you're expecting one book for the whole trip, this is not going to be it. Especially if you have a long layover.

Even though this isn't a glowing review, it is something that on a second read, I could happily recommend to someone who didn't need to think about what they were reading for a couple of hours.

And on that note, Just Friends to... Just Married is, I think, a book that shall be moving on to other hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment