Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Time and Time and Time Again

Just so you know, I’m not always reading romance novels. In fact, the book I just finished was something I could have happily read if I’d have found it back on your shelves all those years ago. A Tale of Time City was written by Diana Wynne Jones, arguably one of my favorite childrens’/YA authors. It makes me sad to realize I’ve only just found her now that I’ve grown up, since she had been publishing most of my life.

I will admit that for the grown-up me, this started a little slowly and  the initial tone didn't sit right with me. But somewhere about 20 pages in I was hooked. Vivian is a great character with some interesting incites into a world that isn't her own, all while hoping to find her way home again. She may not be Sophie (from Howl's Moving Castle), but I certainly liked her style and I liked the independent thinker she became. 

A definite recommend, Mrs. B. for ages 10 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment